Time Matters When Developing Multiple Projects
Time management is the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase efficiency or productivity. Time management may be aided by a range of skills, tools, and techniques used to manage time when accomplishing specific tasks, projects and goals complying with a due date.
When working on multiple projects, time management is CRITICAL. From a development perspective, time management is similar to a project plan. And a project plan is the schedule with which you estimate a project’s timeline, outlining the key steps along the way. By creating milestones, you can help set appropriate expectations on deliverables, as well as enable tracking of the tasks and their status’ of a team or individual. It also provides a roadmap from which to manage and pace your own output.
With strong time management of a project you get more quality work done in less time.
TIME MANAGEMENT TIPS
- takes time, but planning accordingly will save time in the long run
- once a structure is put in place, it will reduce repetitive and unnecessary tasks
- deadlines are important, including intermediate deadlines, as having deadlines planned out ahead makes the goal of a project more easily attainable
- setting priorities will keep the flow of the project going
- focus on important issues, review the essential ones and if needed, larger tasks can be divided into smaller ones. Many times, completing more, small tasks will help reach the goal in less time than a few larger ones
STAY FOCUSED AND MOTIVATED
A few points also on staying focused and motivated:
- Analyze the project and use the best programming language for the job
- Apply new techniques and technologies
- Learn something new from every project no matter how big or small
Here is a good list of Project Management Tools
Smashing Magazine – Professional Designers and Developers resource:
“15 Useful Project Management Tools”
Asana – Web-based Project Management Software:
“Asana is the shared task list for your team. The place to plan,
organize and stay in sync on your efforts.”
OmniPlan – Desktop Project Management Software:
“OmniPlan is designed to help you visualize, maintain, and simplify your projects.”